We don’t currently have any staff vacancies.
The Farm is looking for committed volunteers to support us in planning and delivering our education programme at Gorgie Farm. The summer term and holidays are a busy period at the farm and we depend on support from highly-motivated volunteers to enable us to meet the needs of schools and nurseries.
This role involves delivering education programmes for nursery, school and community groups during term time, and Farmer’s Helpers activities for children at the farm during the school holidays.
Volunteer Education Assistant tasks:
- Work with the Education Officer to deliver education programmes Tuesday-Thursday in term time as required, and holiday programmes during the Easter and Summer holidays
- Be willing to ‘muck in’ with animal work, gardening, set up workshops as required
- Lead tours and assist with workshops as required
- Encourage the children to wash hands and practice good hygiene and good common sense round the animals
- Evaluate the work afterwards
Frequency and commitment:
- In the summer term our school programme runs Tuesday-Thursday; a minimum commitment of once a week would be expected
- Ideally we would seek a minimum commitment of six months
- Volunteers will be interviewed and given a full farm induction and training in the role
- Previous experience working with children is essential
- We will seek PVG checks for this role as it involves direct work with children
- It is essential that applicants for this placement have good interpersonal skills, good customer service skills and are friendly – it is a role working with the public: the animals are a secondary consideration!
- Willingness to work with animals and get your hands dirty – however, experience with animals or farming is not necessary as training will be provided
- For many of our voluntary roles, applicants with extra support needs are welcomed and the farm runs mixed ability volunteer groups in most areas. However, this role is suitable for those able to lead a group and manage people without direct supervision, therefore we suggest that volunteers consider whether they feel able to do this
- For all voluntary roles, it is worth noting that the farm is open to the public and volunteers need to be aware that it can be busy at times
Apply to email@example.com