We don’t currently have any staff vacancies. We will post any information on this page and on our social media channels.
Chair of Board of Trustees
As part of the next stage of our development we’re looking for a new Chair to join our Board. Our current Chair has been in the role for 5 years and now feels the time is right to step down and let someone else take the Farm forward in our next exciting stage of development. We’re open to applicants from any sector and farming knowledge isn’t a prerequisite. We need someone with sound business skills, a good communicator, with the ability to run Board meetings and lead our strategic thinking into the future.
The time commitment for the role is reasonably small – we have 6 Board meetings each year and an Annual General Meeting, usually around November. We also have sub-committees tasked with overseeing and helping with strategy for a specific area of the Farm which usually meet between each Board meeting. Although the Chair isn’t part of any specific committee, attendance happens from time to time. It would be expected that a level of informal visits would also take place at the Farm to familiarise themselves with the team and operation.
Applications should be made by submitting a CV and a covering letter outlining the reasons for your application, and the skills and experience you could bring to the position, to email@example.com.
The deadline for receipt of applications is midday on 23rd September 2019.
If you’d like to have an informal chat with our current Chair let us know and we’ll be in touch.
At the moment, June 2019 we have a full complement of education assistant volunteers. However, if you’re interested in volunteering with us in the future, please read on!
The Farm regularly requires committed volunteers to support us in planning and delivering our education programme at Gorgie Farm. The summer term and holidays are a busy period at the farm and we depend on support from highly-motivated volunteers to enable us to meet the needs of schools and nurseries.
This role involves delivering education programmes for nursery, school and community groups during term time, and Farmer’s Helpers activities for children at the farm during the school holidays.
Volunteer Education Assistant tasks:
- Work with the Education Officer to deliver education programmes Tuesday-Thursday in term time as required, and holiday programmes during the Easter and Summer holidays
- Be willing to ‘muck in’ with animal work, gardening, set up workshops as required
- Lead tours and assist with workshops as required
- Encourage the children to wash hands and practice good hygiene and good common sense round the animals
- Evaluate the work afterwards
Frequency and commitment:
- In the summer term our school programme runs Tuesday-Thursday; a minimum commitment of once a week would be expected
- Ideally we would seek a minimum commitment of six months
- Volunteers will be interviewed and given a full farm induction and training in the role
- Previous experience working with children is essential
- We will seek PVG checks for this role as it involves direct work with children
- It is essential that applicants for this placement have good interpersonal skills, good customer service skills and are friendly – it is a role working with the public: the animals are a secondary consideration!
- Willingness to work with animals and get your hands dirty – however, experience with animals or farming is not necessary as training will be provided
- For many of our voluntary roles, applicants with extra support needs are welcomed and the farm runs mixed ability volunteer groups in most areas. However, this role is suitable for those able to lead a group and manage people without direct supervision, therefore we suggest that volunteers consider whether they feel able to do this
- For all voluntary roles, it is worth noting that the farm is open to the public and volunteers need to be aware that it can be busy at times
Please do not apply at the moment because we have no vacancies, but if you’re interested in volunteering with the education team at a later date, contact firstname.lastname@example.org